Monday, February 19, 2018

Predictions On the Future of Gun Violence

(I've been travelling the past week, so you'll have to forgive me being a few days late on this.)

So... another mass shooting, huh?

Allow me, then, to make a couple predictions on what is going to happen in the next couple years.  (I've had a history - of - being - wrong since I started this little prediction game, but this time I'm pretty sure this is low-hanging fruit).

1).  Absolutely no gun control reform will happen because of this latest mass shooting.  (I wish it wasn't so, but it's the cold hard political reality.)

2).  There will be another mass shooting within at least two years.  Probably within one Year.  (I take no pleasure in saying this, but it's just statistics at this point.  If our current trends continue, it's likely that we'll have another mass shooting before 365 days have passed.  It's a near certainty we won't make it to 730 days without another mass shooting).

In light of all this, if I were the Democrat Party leadership, here's what I would do:
Full out embrace the mental health care aspect of it.

I know, I know, it's ridiculous.  (As I pointed out after Sandy Hook, mental health issues are a problem in every country.  We're the only country that has regular mass shootings.)
But gun control reform is not on the table yet.  It's just not.
And Democrats have been wanting to get back funding for mental health ever since Reagan cut all government funding back in 1981 (W).  So if Republicans are putting this on the table, why not take it?

Just say to the Republicans, "Fine, you guys win.  I guess this was all about mental health all along after all.  Let's just fund all those mental health hospitals just like you guys wanted to."
Then, not only could we get some much needed funding for mental health, also the next time there is a mass gun shooting (and there will be more), then we can say: "Okay, we tried your plan.  Now let's try gun control."

No comments: