Tuesday, September 05, 2017

From Youtube: Jordan Peterson: The Deep Rooted Problems of the "Religion of Peace"



I know, I know, it's a waste of time to respond to everything you disagree with on the Internet:


...but humor me on this.
Actually there's plenty to disagree with in this video, but I guess as a history major what really broils me is the mis-representation of history:
From 2:58:
"yeah, we saw that one when Martin Luther hammered some stuff on a door a long time ago and  the Protestant and the Catholics just went their separate ways.  There's been some rough feelings over the years I suppose but no generational wars that I can think of. I mean, right?"

In fact, there were 150 years of religious wars in Europe following the Martin Luther hammering some stuff on a door.  These wars were among the bloodiest and brutalest and most savage wars in European history.
See Wikipedia: European wars of religion
See also: hereherehereherehere here  herehere ,  here  and here.

The fact that someone is ignorant of these brutal religious wars could just be one idiot on the Internet.  But it could also be indicative of a society wide failure to educate people in basic history.  Your guess is as mine as to which one it was.

3 comments:

Joel Swagman said...

Sorry for resorting to commentary on inaccuracies in Youtube videos. I guess I was just had a bit too much caffeine this morning

Whisky Prajer said...

Yeesh - I could not make it through the whole ten minutes (in fact I bailed shortly after your capture quote). Must admit there aren't many "discussions" I'm keen to eavesdrop on when everyone in the room holds one guy in the highest esteem.

Joel Swagman said...

Yeah, sorry about that. I had one of those mornings where I was watching too much junk on youtube, and gave in the temptation to comment on it.