Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst and illustrated by Ray Cruz

(Graded Reader)

So, after taking about a year's break, I've decided to try to bring Story Time back into my classroom.

This is a book I'd wanted to do for a long time, but had held off because I didn't think my students were quite ready for it.  (It uses a lot of advanced vocabulary).
But it's amazing how much progress they've made this past year, so I decided to give this book a try.

This book was very popular with my own elementary school teachers back when I was growing up.  I remember it was read to us several times when I was at school.
My 4th grade teacher read it to us, and then for a creative writing assignment, had us write our own Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.
I decided to duplicate that writing assignment with my own students.

So far I've used this book in a couple different classrooms, and the reaction has been positive.  The students laughed a lot at it, and at least some of them had fun with the writing assignment.

This book is available on amazon.com here.

Link of the Day
Noam Chomsky on the Crimes committed by U S Presidents

No comments: