Sunday, August 26, 2012

Stealing this link from a friend's facebook page:
The Black Cauldron: Is the movie that almost killed Disney animation really that bad?

Just for pure nostalgia's sake. With no other reason really.

But adding this note: Nostalgia's a funny thing. A few years ago I rented and re-watched the Black Cauldron again. Although it was a deeply flawed movie in many ways, I could never bring myself to hate it. All I could remember was how excited I was to see it as a kid. And all the other 1980s cartoons I was excited about during the same period. And how I spent so much of my childhood in my own little world either watching these fantasy stories or imagining them.

For the same reasons, I think this is why I hate most movies I watch nowadays, but love everything that I saw during my childhood. Perhaps the reasons why me and everyone else of my generation never warmed to the Star Wars prequels, for example.

1 comment:

Whisky Prajer said...

My kids can't stand the Star Wars prequels, either. We hadn't watched them in years, and they'd been bugging me to cue them up again since we're all fans of The Clone Wars TV show (an example of actual writers improving on Lucas's creaky concepts). We sat through Episode 1 in June. Since then, no-one's made a peep about watching the others.

Have you heard about the edit Topher Grace gave the three prequels? Now that is something I'd love to see.