Monday, February 14, 2005

Me on the Internet
Perhaps you were just thinking to yourself, "I don't have enough of Joel Swagman in my life." A while back I linked to this Media Mouse video we made about the FTAA protests in Quebec in 2001, which includes some video footage I filmed, as well as a brief appearance by me participating in a round table discussion.

Well, I've also stumbled across this "Breaking the Bank" video of the 2000 IMF/ World Bank protest in Washington DC. I'm not familiar with the group that put this video together, but at least some of them must have been at the same intersection I was during this protest, because a lot of the footage for the video comes from that intersection. I even make a brief appearance for a second or two. Click on "Breaking the Bank Part 2", and then go to 26:04 into the piece. I'm a bit in the back ground, but I'm easy to pick out. This was during my long hair phase, I'm wearing a white shirt, a red bandanna, and I have my glasses on and I'm on the left.

A few seconds later there's a shot of people standing up and cheering, in which a couple of my friends from Calvin, who I went to the protest with, are visible. I'll try to use good internet etiquette by not using full names, but if you know who Sean and Bytie are, you should be able to pick them out pretty clearly.

I guess on one hand it is kind of pathetic that I'm so full of myself I find the need to link to every on line video where I'm even briefly visible. On the other hand, my 2.5 seconds of fame aside, both videos are well done, informative and do a good job presenting some of the issues of global capitalism and the exploitation of 3rd world workers. (Since someone else did the hard work of editing the Media Mouse video, I can say this without conceit). If you have the time, both videos would probably be worth watching.

No comments: