Sunday, July 26, 2026


We were visiting my parents' place, and my kids started going through their DVD collection to try to find something they were interested in watching.  When they saw this movie, they decided to check it out.  (They've not seen a lot of original Muppet content, but they are fans of Disney's Muppet Babies).

I had seen this movie once before as a kid.  It came out in 1984.  I think I saw it on TV once in the late 1980s.  I remember it being funny only intermittently, and having a lot of boring slow songs in it.

My kids watched the DVD in the TV room, and I was working on my computer in the neighboring room.  As such, even though I wasn't actually watching the movie, I heard much of it coming through the open door.  So I'm going to count this as a movie I half-watched.

From what I could hear, the movie was just as boring as I remembered it.  And there were a lot of boring songs.  
I know this movie got a lot of good reviews when it was released, and is considered a classic nowadays, but to me, this movie is always the epitome of "kids movies that are made to impress the parents, and not the actual kids themselves."
But, you know, to give it a proper review, I'd have to actually sit down and properly watch the whole thing. Until I do that, you'll have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.  But from what I could hear through the doorway, it sounded like there were a lot of boring parts in this movie.

My kids didn't actually make it through the whole movie.  They got bored and stopped watching halfway through.

****************

I consider myself a Muppet's fan.  (Most people of my generation are).  But as I wrote in my 2013 review of The Muppets movie
 Actually truth be told, I enter into any Muppet movie with low expectations.  Although I have a lot of fond childhood memories of the Muppets, I’ve also been disappointed by them a number of times.  They’ve done some good movies over the years, but they’ve also done a lot of bad movies.

            Even back in their golden age, their original TV show could be very hit or miss.  Some of their best sketches could be wildly imaginative, bizarre, or, delightfully subversive.  But the show could just as easily suddenly swing into saccharine sweet mode, with an over-reliance on sentimentality and clichéd life lessons.  The movies have continued and amplified these flaws.

The Muppets Take Manhattan is for me a classic example of this.

No comments: