Tuesday, July 05, 2022

I don't know whether anyone has noticed or not, but the past couple months I've stopped posting the Steve Donoghue Q&A's on this blog.  
The primary reason being I went through a couple months were I was just insanely busy, and didn't feel like I had time to post a lot of extra stuff.
But a secondary reason is that I'm going to try to pull back from posting a lot of random junk on this blog.  As I mentioned in my final mini-episode review of the Revolutions Podcast, I got the urge to post everything I was doing on this blog during the Corona Virus lockdown in Vietnam, when the self-isolation was getting to me, and I was craving any kind of interaction with the outside world.  Now that the lock down is over, I'm going to try (try) to return to the more restrained model of blogging I promised back in June 2020.  

...but, that being said, I actually do want to post Steve's answer to my most recent question, because it's about The Iliad, and now that I've started re-reading The Iliad,  I may actually incorporate this when I get around to writing my review.  

What are your thoughts on the whole Homer question?  That is, was the Iliad composed by one man?  Was it the same man who composed the Odyssey?  Etc.
Steve answers my question at 25:26 of 12.7K Q&A - Part 2!


Steve's answer:
Uh, well, written certainly by one person. I don't think there's any doubt in the world, when you read them, I don't think there's any doubt in the world that The Iliad and The Odyssey were both written entirely by one person. But composed? That person was was writing down huge set pieces that had been shaped and molded by many other people, which is why, that accounts for them that changes narrative tone and even tempo, because the person who was writing these things down wasn't the person who originated the material a lot of the time, I would say. So, single hand on the pen? Sure, absolutely. But obviously not a single generating mind. I don't think anybody has argued for that.

No comments: