Saturday, December 02, 2017

Grass Skirts

(TESOL Worksheets--Any Grammar PointQuestions, Question Tags)
Google: docspub

[I'm in the process of updating my workshop for Activities that Can Be Used for Any Grammar Point.  So I thought I'd include "Grass Skirts" despite the fact that I personally have rarely used it.  But it's a very popular activity at my school, so in the interest of being thorough, I wanted to include it in the workshop.  I asked a colleague to share an example with me, and he did.  The example being shown here is not my work, but comes from my colleague.  I think it is meant to practice question tags, although it could easily be adapted to several other verb tenses.]

Grass Skirts (Materials: One worksheet per team--cut into strips) (Preparation: create worksheet with various sentences on it.  Cut it into loosely connected strips--20 minutes)
Several sentences are put on a piece of paper.  The paper is cut cut into strips.  The teacher doesn’t actually cut the strips all the way, but each strip is loosely connected to the top of the paper.  (The paper is connected at the top, with strips loosely hanging down--just like a Hawaiian grass skirt.)
Each team has a grass skirt posted at the front of the room.  (If possible, use different colored paper for each team.)  One person from each team runs up and grabs a strip from their grass skirt (tearing it off at the top).  They take it back to their team, where they complete the exercise.  (There is some sort of controlled practice exercise on each strip--e.g. fill in the blank, unscramble the sentence, etc).  After the team completes the exercise, they show it to the teacher.  If it is correct, then they can go and rip off the next strip from their grass skirt.

The first team to finish their grass skirt is the winner.

Cut the paper along the line, but not all the way (leave a little bit connected at the side).  Each team gets a different sheet.  The sheet is posted at the front of the room.  One person from each team runs up, tears off a strip, runs back to their group, and the team completes the sentence.  The teacher checks, and if the sentence is correct, then the team can run to the front and tear off the next sentence.
So your cousins came to the party after all, _____________ they?


He’d rather eat than sleep, he __________.


I am correct, _________ I not?


He really enjoys his sweets, Peter __________.


Everybody’s had some cake _____________ they?


Those boys need to cut down on junk food, they _______________.


No comments: