Friday, July 22, 2016

IELTS First Day Setting Expectations

(TESOL Worksheets--IELTS)

One of the frustrations that I encounter when teaching IELTS in my current context (Vietnam) is that there seems to be a popular misconception that IELTS courses are simply more prestigious general English courses.  Therefore I frequently get a lot of students enrolled in my IELTS class who want to study general English, and they do not understand that they have signed up for an exam prep class.  As the course progresses the gap between their expectations of the course, and what the course actually entails, ends up causing a lot of frustration for both them and me.

In an effort to clear all this up on the first day, I've started doing this activity.
Students are first given a blank table and, in pairs or groups, write down what they think are the differences between an IELTS course and a general English course.  Then we do some whole class feedback on their ideas.  Then I give them the cards, and they sort the cards into the categories of IELTS or General English.  Then the feedback is on the Google Slide Show.

Worksheet (drive, docs, pub)
Slideshow: slides, pub





What is the difference between studying in an IELTS class, and studying in a general English class?  With your group, write some notes about the characteristics of each class.

General English
IELTS



































We will practice reading texts where I can understand 95-98% of the words to build up my reading fluency and speed.
We will read academic texts in which the vocabulary will be very difficult, and I will not understand many of the words.
We will focus on vocabulary that is useful for me in everyday conversation.
We will focus on academic vocabulary that I will not normally hear in everyday conversation.
I will study to improve my general level of English.
We will spend a lot of time talking about the test rules, the test format, the test question types, and the strategies for different types of questions.  We will focus on understanding the test, not on improving your English ability.
I will study grammar in class to help improve my general English ability.
We will not study grammar in class.  If my grammar is weak, I will need to study grammar at home or enroll in another class.
We will do practice listenings in which I can understand 95-98% of the words to build up my listening ability.
We will listen to academic lectures in which the vocabulary will be very difficult, and I will not understand many of the words.

No comments: