Saturday, February 18, 2012

More Links:

I listen to the BBC World Service constantly at my apartment. I don't normally link to their programs, but this recent program on America's Poor really deserves to be listened to. It's 25 minutes long, but you can put it on in the background when you're doing something else.

Also while I'm linking around to stuff:
I found this article from Salon.com to be the best I've read so far on the contraception debate:

Freedom of religion is freedom from religion: Obama's contraception compromise is a rare practical solution to America's perennial church-state tensions

Speaking of which--Did anyone else see this Wall Street Journal article in which the Catholic Church is comparing their opposition to insuring their employees for Contraception to the Civil Rights movement?
The full text of original article is no longer online--but the New Republic has excerpted some of the best parts.

At St. Brendan Church in San Francisco, the Rev. Michael Quinn compared the church’s opposition to the contraceptive rules to the civil-rights fight waged by 1950s activist Rosa Parks, who refused to give her seat up to a white man on a bus. “I believe this is our Rosa Parks moment,” Father Quinn told more than 200 parishioners on Sunday. “This is our moment to say this is wrong.”

No comments: