Saturday, July 28, 2007

May 2000, The Destruction of the Log

(Retrospection)

Today's Retrospection comes courtesy of Rob. Rob and I have both been working on the old Calvin videos lately. I've been busy converting them to DVD, and Rob has been burning them onto his computer at his end. Hopefully more videos will follow.
Rob edited this video and uploaded it onto the Internet. The original video was something like 20 minutes long, so Rob deserves a lot of credit for editing this down to something watchable. He also has this video posted on his blog, along with a few brief words of introduction.



Partly for the sake of completeness, and partly to emphasize what a good job Rob did editing, here is the unedited version (which I had to break into two parts because it was so long).
part 1



part 2


Since Rob already introduced the video on his site, and since it's fairly self-explanatory, I'll keep my remarks to a minimum. Calvin Chaos Day Fall 1996 the Boer Bennick theme was "Jurassic Park". Nate and Brett stole one of the Jurassic logs decorating the lobby, and took it up to their room, after which it became a fixture of their dorm room and all their visitors were asked to sign the log.

Sophomore year Brett roomed with Cecil and me and brought his log with him, after which Brett's log became our log.

After we moved out of the dorms, the log got stored in my parent's basement for a couple years (much to their dismay). Once we finished our senior year, I decided it was time to give into my parent's demands to dispose of the log, but being the sentimentalist that I was, I was reluctant to just throw it away.

So Brett and I made this video where we talked about all our memories of the log, and then destroyed it on camera. One of us would film while the other one talked, and then for the final scene we just set the camera on the table.

This was not, however, the last of the log. When Rob came over later in the day he rescued the remnants of the log and a couple months later he brought them out on a camping trip to ceremoniously burn the last bits of the log.

PS--For the nickname Chewie (Or Chewbs, as it's used in this video) see here.
Link of the Day
Obama, Nuclear Power and Coal: All About the Green...I know I've been linking to a lot of articles critical on Obama lately. Like every other progressive, I'm in love with Obama and I think he's the best candidate out there, but it is important to keep him honest.

2 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Whisky Prajer said...

Change of heart: I'll gas on in my blog comments, instead.