Thursday, September 29, 2022

Paraphrase Recognition Race

(TESOL Ideas--Activities that Can Be Used with Any Reading Text)

Sample: drive, slidespub

I got this activity from an idea bank document at my school.  As it was described on that document, the activity originally read:
Find a reading activity in the course book where a lot of questions include paraphrased info from the text or write your own paraphrased phrases. Show the paraphrases to students one by one. Students race to find the paragraph, line number,and/or the original phrase in the text. They write the answers on their mini whiteboards.
I adapted it slightly.  Instead of finding questions from the textbook, I just paraphrased sentences from the text.  Also, to make the game more fun, I put it into a Doraemon PowerPoint Template.  Also, in my classes, I incorporated it into a Board Race, with students having to run across the room to write their answer on the big whiteboard.  

No comments: