Sunday, February 13, 2022

All Posts Will Have Titles Going Forward

With apologies, this is another blogging about blogging post.  In other words, this is probably only of interest to me, but...

Starting last week, the "Blog Archive" widget (on the left hand side of the screen) started displaying "No title" for any post that didn't have a big orange title at the top.
Previous to last week, the Blog Archive had displayed the first line of any post with a formal title.  Which allowed a reader to easily find posts in the Blog Archive, even those without titles.

So, for comparisons sake, this is what my February Blog Archive looked like on February 3.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220203012713/http://joelswagman.blogspot.com/
 and this is what it looks like now

Apparently this is an issue that's affecting all blogs on blogger--see people discussing this problem on the help form HERE.

I waited a week to see if this was just a temporary bug that would resolve itself, but now that one week has gone by, I'm going to regard this change as permanent.

Of course, as someone who has been using blogger for close to 20 years now, it's hard to tell what is really "permanent" around here.  It could change back again in 6 months, or possibly in 6 years.  But until it does, I'm going to have to change my blogging style.

As regular readers know, I typically don't use big titles on smaller posts for aesthetic reasons.  (It seems like overkill on a small post).  But, in order to keep the Blog Archive functional, I'm going to have to change this policy.  From now on, all posts, big or small, will now get titles, until the time that the Blog Archive Widget changes back to the way it used to be--whenever that ends up happening, if that ends up happening.

This is just going to be for all new posts going forward.  I don't think I'm going to change any of the old posts.

Update: February 14, 2022

...and now it looks like the problem with the Blog Archive has been fixed.  Looks like I posted one day too soon.  (I waited a week, but I should have waited one more day.)

So, I'm going back to my original blogging style.  Hopefully it stays fixed.  I'll keep my eye on it.  If it ever goes back to displaying "No Title", I'll quietly start putting titles on all my blog posts, but in the future I won't bore you all by making a big announcement of it each time.

No comments: