Monday, July 05, 2021

Pierre by Maurice Sendak: Poems ESL Listening

(TESOL Worksheets--Poems ESL Listening)

Homework Worksheet: docspub, Quizlet HERE
Video HERE,


Pierre by Maurice Sendak: poems

Video: https://youtu.be/loWsojZl5WI

Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/_6u0wx5


Suggested Use:

Step 1: Look at the vocabulary. Check any words that you don’t know in your dictionary.

Step 2: Listen to the video. (Listen only.  Don’t look at the poem yet).

Step  3: Practice the vocabulary on Quizlet 

Step 4: Watch the video again.  This time look at the poem. Read and listen at the same time.

Step 5: Practice the vocabulary on Quizlet again 

Step 6: Listen one last time.  The last time, don’t look at the poem. 


Vocabulary

anywhere, arrive, as, backwards, bed, bother, call, care, chair, chapter, climb, clown, cream, cream of wheat, cry, darling, dead, dear, doctor, dreadful, everyone, fall, fall out, feel, feet, fine, floor, fold, folding chair, guest, hair, half past, hit, hungry, I don’t care, indeed, inside, joy, laugh, leave, lie, lion, lovely, march, moral, my dear, night falls, o’clock, once, parent, past, pay a call, pour, prologue, pull, rather, rest, roar, rub, rush, scratch, shake, shock, should, shout, sick, stay, suitable, surely, syrup, tight, upon, upside, upside down, weekend, wheat, would rather


Proper Nouns

Names of people: Pierre


Pierre by Maurice Sendak: poems



Prologue:

There was once a boy named Pierre

Who only would say, “I don't care!”

Read his story, my friend, for you'll find

At the end that a suitable

Moral lies there


(Chapter I)

One day his mother said

When Pierre climbed out of bed

“Good morning, darling boy, you are my only joy”

Pierre said, “I don't care!”

“What would you like to eat?”

“I don't care!”

“Some lovely cream of wheat?”

“I don't care!”

“Don't sit backwards in your chair”

“I don't care!”

“Or pour syrup on your hair”

“I don't care!”

“You are acting like a clown”

“I don't care!”

“And we have to go to town”

“I don't care!”

“Don't you want to come, my dear?”

“I don't care!”

“Would you rather stay right here?’

“I don't care!”

So his mother left him there


(Chapter II)

His father said, “Get off your head

Or I will march you up to bed!”

Pierre said, “I don't care!”

“I would think that you could see”

“I don't care!”

“Your head is where your feet should be!”

“I don't care!”

“If you keep standing upside down”

“I don't care!”

“We'll never get to town”

“I don't care!”

“If only you would say, I care”

“I don't care!”

“I'd let you fold the folding chair”

“I don't care!”

So his parents left him there

They didn't take him anywhere


(Chapter III)

Now as the night began to fall

A hungry lion paid a call

He looked Pierre right in the eye

And asked him if he'd like to die

Pierre said, “I don't care!”

“I can eat you, don't you see?”

“I don't care!”

“And you will be inside of me”

“I don't care!”

“Then you will never have to bother”

“I don't care!”

“With a mother and a father”

“I don't care!”

“Is that all you have to say?”

“I don't care!”

“Then I'll eat you, if I may”

“I don't care!”

So the lion ate Pierre


(Chapter IV)

Arriving home at six o'clock

His parents had a dreadful shock!

They found the lion sick in bed and cried

“Pierre is surely dead!”

They pulled the lion by the hair

They hit him with the folding chair

His mother asked, “Where is Pierre?”

The lion answered, “I don't care!”

His father said, “Pierre's in there!”


(Chapter V)

They rushed the lion into town

The doctor shook him up and down

And when the lion gave a roar

Pierre fell out upon the floor

He rubbed his eyes and scratched his head

And laughed because he wasn't dead

His mother cried and held him tight

His father asked, “Are you all right?”

Pierre said, “I am feeling fine

Please take me home, it's half past nine”



The lion said, “If you would care

To climb on me, I'll take you there”

Then everyone looked at Pierre

Who shouted, “Yes, indeed, I care!”

The lion took them home to rest

And stayed on as a weekend guest

The moral of Pierre is: CARE!


Vocabulary

anywhere - in or to any place:

I couldn't find a post office anywhere.


arrive - to get to a place:

When he first arrived in New York, he didn't speak a word of English.


as - used to describe two things happening at the same time or something happening at a particular time:

He was shot in the back as he tried to escape.

used to describe the purpose, job, or appearance of something or someone:

She works as a waitress.


backwards - with the part that is usually at the front at the back:

Your T-shirt's on backwards.


bed - a piece of furniture that you sleep on:

She was lying in bed when I arrived.


bother - to make the effort to do something:

Don't bother making the bed - I'll do it later.


call - a short visit:

I thought I'd pay Gary a call.


care - to think that something is important and to feel interested in it or worried about it:

He cares deeply about the environment.


chair - a seat for one person, with a back, usually four legs, and sometimes two arms:

Flint leaned back in his chair.


chapter - one of the parts that a book is divided into


climb - to go up something, or onto the top of something:

He climbed up on a chair to change the light bulb.


climb out of - to get, crawl, or move out of something:

He climbed out of the wreckage and examined himself carefully for injuries.


clown - a performer who wears brightly coloured clothes and has a painted face and makes people laugh


cream - a thick, yellowish-white liquid that is taken from milk:

I like raspberries and cream.


cream of wheat - a hot breakfast cereal or porridge made with farina (ground wheat) or semolina.


cry - to speak or say something loudly:

"Look at this!" Raj would cry.


darling - loved very much:

This is my darling daughter.


dead - not now alive:

She's been dead for 20 years now.


dear - A dear person is someone who you know and like very much:

He's one of my dearest friends.


doctor - a person whose job is to treat people who have an illness or injury:

I've made an appointment with the doctor.


I don't care - Indicates that the speaker has no interest or emotional investment in the topic at hand.


dreadful - extremely bad or unpleasant:

They made a dreadful mistake


everyone - every person:

I've received a reply from everyone now.


night falls - if night falls, it starts to become dark at the beginning of the night:

It grows colder as night falls.


fall - to move down towards the ground:

Huge drops of rain were falling from the sky.


fall out - to drop from a place where it was attached or contained:

A few pages might fall out of the book if you shake it.


feel - to experience an emotion or a physical feeling:

You shouldn't feel embarrassed about making a mistake.


feet - plural of foot (one of the two flat parts on the ends of your legs that you stand on)


fine - well, healthy, or happy:

"How are you?" "I'm fine, thanks. And you?"


floor - a surface that you walk on inside a building:

I must sweep the kitchen floor.


fold - If you fold paper, cloth, etc, you bend it so that one part of it lies flat on top of another part:

Can you help me fold the sheets?


folding chair - a type of folding furniture, a light, portable chair that folds flat or to a smaller size, and can be stored in a stack, in a row, or on a cart.


guest - someone who comes to visit you in your home, at a party, etc

We've got some guests coming this weekend.


hair - the thin, thread-like parts that grow on your head:

She is a girl with long, fair hair.


half past - 30 minutes past one o'clock/two o'clock/three o'clock, etc

We got back to our hotel at half past seven.


hit - to touch something quickly and with force using your hand or an object in your hand:

She hit him on the head with her tennis racket.


hungry - wanting or needing food:

I'm hungry. What's for supper?


indeed - used to emphasize that something is true or that you agree with it:

"He sounds a very interesting man." "He is indeed."


inside - in or into a room, building, container, etc:

She opened the drawer and laid the scarf inside.


joy - something or someone that makes you feel very happy:

She's a joy to work with.


laugh - to smile while making sounds with your voice that show you are happy or think something is funny:

You never laugh at my jokes.


leave - to not take something with you when you go away from a place, either intentionally or by accident:

Why don't you leave your jacket in the car?


lie - to be in a particular place:

The river lies 30 km to the south of the city.


lion - a large, wild animal of the cat family, with light brown fur


lovely - pleasant or enjoyable:

We had a lovely day together.


march - to forcefully make someone go somewhere by taking hold of that person and pulling them there or going there together:

Without saying a word, she took hold of my arm and marched me off to the headmaster's office.


moral - something you learn from a story or event about how to behave:

The moral of the story is never lie.


my dear - usually for people who are closer. It is a term of endearment - someone who is dear to you


o'clock - used after the numbers one to twelve to mean exactly that hour when you tell the time:

It was ten o’clock when we got home.


once - in the past, but not now:

This house once belonged to my grandfather.


parent - your mother or father:

Her parents live in Oxford.


past - having happened or existed before now:

I know this from past experience.


pay a call - to visit a person or place, usually for a short time:

I'll pay you a call when I'm in the area.


pour - to make a liquid flow from or into a container:

I poured the milk into a jug.


prologue - an introduction to a book, film, or play


pull - to take hold of something and move it somewhere:

If you keep pulling his tail, he'll bite you.


rather - instead of:

I thought we could go to the cinema this evening rather than stay at home.


would rather - If you would rather do something, you would prefer to do that thing:

I would much rather go out for a meal than stay in and watch TV.


rest - to relax or sleep because you are tired after doing an activity or because you are sick:

Pete's resting after his long drive.


roar - to make a loud, deep sound:

We could hear a lion roaring from the other side of the zoo.


rub - to press your hand or a cloth on a surface and move it backwards and forwards:

She rubbed her hands together to warm them.


rush - to hurry or move quickly somewhere, or to make someone or something hurry or move quickly somewhere:

We rushed out into the street to see what all the noise was.


scratch - to rub your skin with your nails, often to stop it itching (= feeling unpleasant):

He scratched his head.


shake - to make quick, short movements from side to side or up and down, or to make something or someone do this:

Turn the jar upside down and shake it.


shock - a big, unpleasant surprise:

We got a nasty shock when he gave us the bill.


should - used to say or ask what is the correct or best thing to do:

He should have gone to the doctor.


shout - to say something very loudly:

"Look out!" she shouted .


sick - ill:

He was off work sick for most of last week.


stay - to spend a short period of time in a place:

We stayed in a hotel.


suitable - acceptable or right for someone or something:

This film is suitable for children.


surely - used to express that you are certain or almost certain about something:

The problem surely lies in the design of the equipment.


syrup - a very sweet liquid made from sugar and water


tight - very firmly or closely:

He held her tight.


upon - on:

The jar had been placed on the table.


upside - the positive part of a situation:

It's too bad we can't go until Thursday, but the upside is that we get to stay through the weekend.


upside down - turned so that the part that is usually at the top is now at the bottom:

One of the pictures had been hung upside down.


weekend - Saturday and Sunday, the two days in the week when many people do not work:

Are you doing anything this weekend?


wheat - a plant whose grain is used for making flour, or the grain itself

No comments: