Wednesday, March 25, 2020

From CNN.com
President Trump is as popular as he's ever been right now
Here's an indisputable fact: President Donald Trump is as popular today as he has been since his first day in office.
In a new Gallup poll, 49% approve of the job Trump is doing as president while 45% disapprove, matching the highest his approval rating has ever been in Gallup surveys. A Monmouth University poll released on Monday showed Trump at 46% approval, again the best he has done in that poll in more than three years.
What accounts for Trump's rise? Simple: His response to the coronavirus crisis
 ...I don't know what to say.  Except, perhaps, that I think this is officially the moment a little part of me died inside, and I lost all hope for America.
It's been a very bad past 4 years, but up until this moment, I think I was still holding out some hope that America would come back to her senses.  But if this, of all things, doesn't make people realize that Trump is unfit for office, well then there's just no hope.

Update, March 26, 2020:
A friend of mine, reacting to the same story on MSNBC, offered this analysis on Facebook:
This is wildly irresponsible journalism, and in these historic times, it's dangerous. These polls are always harebrained publicity stunts, but the stakes are higher. Check out the methodology. The Gallup Poll, for instance, has 1,020 respondents. That's about twice the size of my high school graduation class. Barely more than half (536) have jobs. I shit you not. Interviews are done over landlines (in 2020!!!) and mobile phones. So, this news story is based on the opinion of 1,000 people A) don't work B) use landlines and/or don't have caller ID and C) willing to spend 20 minutes on the phone talking to a stranger. In other words, your elderly uncle who worships Trump but can't operate the TV remote is driving the news cycle.
If you read the fine print, it's nonsense. But there it is on MSN...
Okay, um, in light of that, perhaps my initial reaction does seem a little bit hyperbolic.  Mea culpa.  But in my defense, it was right there on CNN.  Lesson learned, I guess.  Be skeptical of even the main stream media sources.

No comments: