Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Abandoned: Vietnamese Stories for Language Learners by Tri C. Tran and Tram Le

Started: July 18, 2018

And while I'm clearing out my "Currently Reading" list, it's time to admit I'm not going to get around to this book anytime soon.
It was too advanced for me to begin with.  (I'm still at a beginner's level.)  I bought it from the bookstore as an impulse buy, because I'm attracted to the idea of using fairy tales for language learning.  (Something I've been trying to incorporate in my own materials.)  But I wasn't ready to plunge into this book just yet.
The book came accompanied by an audio CD, which for several months I would play in our apartment every morning, in the hopes that some of it might sink in.  But none of it did.
(We were at a park once, and we saw murals depicting a Vietnamese folk story.  My wife asked me if I recognized the story.  I said I did not.  She said, "It's the same story you listen to every morning in our apartment.")

But, eventually, I stopped playing the CD as well.  (It's so boring to listen to the same thing over and over again, especially when you don't understand it.  I'm trying to use my listening time more for informative podcasts these days.)
So, time to admit that this book as well is now abandoned.

2 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

"Every morning in our apartment" -- it sounds to me like your lovely wife just issued a gentle recommendation for earbuds.

Joel Swagamn said...

My long suffering wife has put up with a lot in our small apartment--audio books, podcasts, youtube videos
...actually maybe I should get some earbuds...