Friday, January 03, 2020

2019 Movie Awards

(Year End Movie Awards)

1. The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution 9 Stars
2. Shazam 7 Stars
3. Isle of Dogs 7 Stars
4. Avengers: Endgame 8 Stars
5. Spider-Man: Far From Home 7 Stars

I say this every year, but the following disclaimers apply:
* This is not a list of movies that came out in 2019, but my personal list of movies I saw in 2019.
* The rating represents my first initial opinion, and upon reflection, I might be persuaded to change some of these ratings.  (Looking over the list now, it strikes me that I was probably too generous to a number of these movies.)

Also upon reflection, I've decided to omit Rosa Luxemburg from this list, because it was not a new movie to me.  (Although I had largely forgotten most of it, I did see it once back in my college days.)
Also not being counted is the video review of The Godfather I did this year, because that was part of my favorite movies of all time list, and also not a new movie to me.
Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker I saw after the new year, so it's not part of my movie list for 2019.  I'll include it in next year's wrap up.

Best Movie I Saw This Year
This has to go to the one I gave 9 Stars to.  The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution.  If you enjoy documentaries, you will love this one.

Worst Movie I Saw This Year
In a year where I didn't rate a single movie less than 7 stars, it's hard to choose a worst movie.  Not only that, but I've got 3 movies tied for the lowest rating.  So let's go with no worst this year.

Addendum: TV Shows
Game of Thrones Season 8 I did video reviews for.  I gave it a mixed review, but was largely forgiving of the choices that the show-runners made.  (Something I said over and over again in my video reviews is that with a storyline this sprawling and complex, there was never going to be a satisfying conclusion anyway, so however they ended the show was bound to disappoint.)
Since that time, however, I've watched any number of Youtube reviews of season 8 which convinced me that I was way too generous.  So allow me to publicly say I was wrong on this one.
The best dissection of Game of Thrones Season 8 that I've found is from Lindsay Ellis.  Part 1 HERE, part 2 HERE.  Long videos both of them, but very interesting.

Video version of this post HERE and embedded below:



2019 Video Review Playlist HERE and embedded below:

No comments: