Sunday, September 08, 2019

So this got under my skin, and I wanted to respond.
Even though I know these things are ultimately a waste of time. sometimes I just need to put in my two cents so I can get it off my chest.
In the old days I would have done this as a blog post, but I decided doing it as a youtube video would take less time than actually writing all my thoughts out.  So I opted for the lazier option of just turning the camera on.
I knew what I wanted to say in vague terms, but the fact that this is not scripted unfortunately shows.  I repeat myself, stumble over my words, and lose my train of thought.
Nevertheless, for whatever it may or may not be worth....

Why Ted Cruz's is Wrong about a God-Given Right to Guns



The article I was referencing:
https://www.dailywire.com/news/51284/milano-wants-know-why-self-defense-god-given-right-ryan-saavedra

(Several more with a similar tone can be found with a Google Search).

I completely forgot to add that I wasn't going to talk about his arguments about liberty and the second amendment because they weren't relevant to the argument about God.

Also, probably wasn't clear on a couple points, but...
* The verse Ted Cruz cited is open to interpretation.  It could mean merely that because of mitigating circumstances, the person wouldn't be punished to full extent of the law. It's not clear that this verse means that the person has a "right" to self-defense.
* It's also not entirely clear why killing someone at night is self-defense, but killing them in the daytime is not.  A thief in your house could also be a danger to you in the daytime.  Ted Cruz might be correct--there's possibly an argument to be made here.  (I guess nighttime is scarier.)  But it's debatable. It's another assumption that's being added to a long list of assumptions in his convoluted argument.

No comments: