Friday, September 12, 2014

Floor Scrabble



            [This is another activity that is NOT my own creation.  But since I’ve found it useful in my classes, I’m going to post it on this blog as part of my continuing effort to keep track of and index all the TESOL activities I’ve found useful over the years.
            At my school, the last day of class, after the tests have all been completed and the student results have all been calculated, is traditionally supposed to be a day of fun and games. Someone at my school created this set of cards years ago, and it has since become a classic “last-day-of-class-game” at my school.
            It’s basically exactly the same as the classic board game Scrabble, only instead of being played on a board, all the letters are printed out in large size on half sheets of paper, and the game is played on the classroom floor.  All the desks and chairs will obviously have to be moved to the side of the room to get a clear playing place in the middle of the classroom.  The game works particularly well at my school because we have a tiled floor roughly the same size as the letter cards, so we just use the tile pattern as the board.  But I think it can work on a non-tiled floor as well.
            The letters are meant to be printed out on half sheets of paper.  (Standard A-4 sized paper sheets are cut in half, and the half sheets are fed into the printer).  The letters are all copied and pasted below, but it’s probably best to use the Google drive version (drive, docs, pub) to get the alignment right for the printer.]

A 1
A 1 A 1
A 1 A 1 A 1 A 1 A 1 A 1 B 3
B 3
C 3
C 3
D 2
D 2
D 2
D 2
E 1
E 1
E 1
E 1
E 1
E 1
E 1
E 1
E 1
E 1
E 1
E 1
F 4
F 4
G 2
G 2
G 2
H 4
H 4
I 1
I 1
I 1
I 1
I 1
I 1
I 1
I 1
I 1
J 8
K 5
L 1
L 1
L 1
L 1
M3
M3
N1
N1
N1
N1
N1
O 1
O 1
O 1
O 1
O 1
O 1
O 1
O 1
P 3
P 3
Q 10
R 1
R 1
R 1
R 1
R 1
R 1
S 1
S 1
S 1
S 1
T 1
T 1
T 1
T 1
T 1
T 1
U 1
U 1
U 1
U 1
U 1
V 4
V 4
W4
W4
X 8
Y 4
Y 4
Z 10


No comments: