Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Karaoke and Waterfalls

So it's summer in Kyushu, which means it's time to hit the waterfalls again.

I've written a lot about waterfalls on this blog over the years, and with good reason. We spend a lot of time going to the waterfalls down here in Kyushu. Because of Japan's mountainous topography, and years of shifting plates, it is a country rich in waterfalls. And during the hot stickyness of Japanese summers, there is nothing I would rather do than spend the afternoon at the waterfall. Of course in Japan we are always close to the Ocean, but the ocean fronts in Northern Kyushu (like Usa and Nakatsu) are just one big concrete slab not designed for recreational access, so we go to the waterfalls in the mountains instead.

The pictures below are from the Yabakei waterfall, which I've mentioned on this blog several times before, and described in detail here and here. I stole them from my co-worker's web log. You can see more pictures of this waterfall on here photosite here, and read her description of the day's outing on her blog here

As the only one with a car, and as the only one who's been in the area long enough to know the swimming holes, I usually volunteer to play tour guide for these kind of outings. Because our company is open 7 days a week, it was impossible to find a day when everyone could go, so last week I made 3 seperate day trips out to the waterfall so everyone could get to see it. I didn't mind one bit. On these hot summer days, I wouldn't be anywhere else.









































And then there's Karaoke, another thing that tends to pop up a lot in this blog. Well, it's Japan after all, right?

These pictures are also borrowed from Amy's photo site. They show me and Amy, a couple co-workers, and the always beautiful Shoko (who came along with us that night).

Fortunately for me Japanese karaoke is renting out a small room with a few friends instead of getting up infront of a crowded bar. It makes things a lot less intimidating, and allows you to just have fun with it.

I've mentioned before that I started using Karaoke as a way to practice the Japanese oldies I've been listening to, and I still do break some of these out. (I don't do a good job on them mind you, but again that's all part of the karaoke fun).




















Link of the Day
There was a recent article from the Los Angeles Times
Errant Afghan civilian deaths surge
U.S. and NATO troops killed more noncombatants in the last six months than did Taliban insurgents, several tallies indicate.
(actually this article is dated July 6, but just appeared in the English newspaper here today).

This article, combined with this article on the Iraq War, should hopefully give people a clear picture about what kind of war we are fighting.

2 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

Stills of karaoke?! Where's the Google video?

Joel Swagman said...

I was tempted, but I figured that might violate the Karaoke rule that whatever affronts to melody and tune that happen in the karaoke room never get brought up again...but maybe next time.