Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Tombo Times
The new issue of Tombo Times is out. So check it out and see what those crazy foreigners in Oita Prefecture have been up to this month.
I don't have anything published in it this month. (My article got pushed back to next month's issue. I'll let you know when it comes out). But everyone seems to be talking about this article. It's someone writing about their experience encountering discrimination in the sex industry in Tokyo. It has a few people upset because he then makes the case that Japan is a racist society, and compares it to the days of segregation in the United States.
I thought the whole thing was supposed to be tongue and cheek myself, and found it pretty funny. No doubt the guy writing it is a bit of a dirty old man, but I thought it seemed that the comparisons to racism in the US were sarcastic. But read it yourself, and let me know what you think. Is he just being silly, or is this guy (as some people around here feel) really being serious when he writes about racism in Japan.

No comments: