Wednesday, December 03, 2003

More linguistic trip ups
Things have been busy at Ajimu Junior High School recently. In the past week, two different teachers have gotten married. However when this was explained to me today, I must have missed a preposition or something because I thought they had gotten married to each other.
Which seems plausible enough, right? I thought some secret office romance had been going on, and I had just been left out of the loop.
Except that both of the teachers in question were men. Which I should have realized, except I'm such rubbish with names that I didn't catch it when this was first mentioned. Needless to say my assumption that they married each other gave every one a good laugh.
The first time it was an honest mistake. The rest of the day I just played dumb. When someone would say, "Did you know Magumatsu Sensei and Abe Sensei got married last week?" I would respond with something like, "Can you do that in Japan?" or "Wow, Japan is so great!" And then I'd watch them rush to correct me.

No comments: