Sunday, September 22, 2024

Board Race for Past Perfect and Past Perfect Continuous

(TESOL Materials--Past Perfect, Past Perfect Continuous)

Google: slides, pub

[Notes: This is a board race using sentence skeletons as prompts.  The purpose is to contrast the Past Perfect and the Past Perfect Continuous.  The sentences are taken from English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy (A).
I used this in my classes, and it worked relatively well, although I discovered that the students needed a lot of feedback on why the sentences were past perfect or past perfect continuous.  It helps to look at the sentences before class, and perhaps prepare explanations ahead of time.  
I believe some cases are more clear cut then others--i.e. there are some cases where one verb form is clearly correct, there are some cases where one verb form is preferable but the other one is still acceptable, and there are some cases where you could make a case for either form.  I tried to take this into account when awarding points in my class.]

No comments: