Monday, August 19, 2024

One last evening to myself before the wife and kids come back from my wife's parents.  So I found some Alfred Hitchcock Presents on Youtube.
I just clicked on the first episodes that came up.  I knew nothing about them.  But then, the whole pleasure of watching Alfred Hitchcock Presents is knowing nothing about the story, and seeing which turns it will take. 

The first one was Escape to Sonoita.


Like many episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, the first 15 minutes, when you're trying to figure out what the plot of the story is, and where it's going to go, are the most interesting.
Once the story is established, the second half drags a bit.  But I loved the twist at the end!
Also, fun seeing some famous people when they were really young.  Burt Reynolds.  Harry Dean Stanton.

The next one I clicked on was Man from the South



...again, it's fun to see famous actors in this.  Everyone loves Steve McQueen.  And I went on a Peter Lorre kick a few years ago.  
Once the episode started, I realized that this was the episode that had inspired the infamous scene in Four Rooms.  (I had seen Four Rooms way back in college, but I had never, until now, seen the episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents that inspired it.  Well, better late then never.)
It was mostly entertaining, but I was irritated that none of the things the characters did made any sense.  (Really, why are any of the characters doing any of the things that they do?  It doesn't make any sense at all.  Steve McQueen wants the car-- fair enough I guess.  But what does Peter Lorre get out of keeping the finger?  Why is the referee tagging along?  Why does the girl get so involved all of a sudden?)
But then, that ending was perfect.  I was watching the episode, and I was thinking "How are they going to do a suitable ending to this?"  I mean, you couldn't have Steve McQueen win the bet--then his character wouldn't learn any lessons.  But you couldn't have Peter Lorre win the bet.  That would be too gruesome.  So how to end it?
But they pulled the ending off perfectly.  So I guess I'm willing to forgive the fact that none of the character motivations made sense.
A quick search on Wikipedia reveals that this episode was actually based on a short story by none other than Roald Dahl.

No comments: