Monday, April 07, 2008

Journal March 17, 2000

(retrospection)
(With apologies to issues of style and clarity, this entry follows my rules on full names)

Bosch (Ribs) and were I walking to class when we saw Vanderboom (Boom) and Chris M (Pasta). Bosch complained to me about how much Boom is always complaining. (Boom had been over at our apartment last night while I was playing video games, complaining to Bosch about various things). Just for fun, we got really quiet and walked behind Boom and Pasta to see how long it would take them to notice we were there. When they didn't notice us after a while, Bosch finally said something.

It was my turn to sit at the SJC (Social Justice Committee) table again that day and collect signatures. While I was doing this some guy who introduced himself as Peter came up to the table and asked me questions about the mission of the SJC. I talked to him for a while.

I was actually signed up to cover the table for 3 different periods that day, but actually Hillary ended up covering for me for 2 out of the 3 times. (She had nothing better to do and she said she didn't mind doing it, so I was more than happy to let her take over).

While getting lunch in Johnny's cafe, I talked to Mr.Bork and Mr.Buma. I told them about the news I had had seen on TV regarding H. Rap Brown's arrest, and we also talked about Bobby Seale. Buma had an article that was running the Chimes crossroads that day, and I told him about some of the comments I had heard about it. There had been a conversation about Buma's article on national health care in my political science class. Most people, including Mr. Vanderklippe, had favored Buma's article over the Giessel's opposition piece).

After class, went to EMS camping store with Matt S. (Bear), Luke B. (Prodigy), and Mr. Hoort, where we bought some camping supplies for our upcoming hiking trip. (Hoort was going on a different camping trip with a different bunch of guys, but he had heard we were going to EMS store and wanted to tag along and stock up himself).

Later we went with Brett N., Rob P., Bear and Prodigy to Meijers. With as large a group as we had, it took forever to get everyone in and out of there. On leaving Meijers however, Brett and I witnessed a funny site. Rob was running full speed across the parking lot, with Bear and Prodigy behind trying to catch up. They must have decided to race back to the car or something.

Bear and Prodigy were going to Mr. Shultz's Party that night, and they graciously took me along with them too. We all rode there in Bear's car, but when Bear got to the party, for some reason he decided to leave again in what couldn't have been much longer than 5 minutes after we had arrived.

Prodigy and I said we would stick around at the party and just catch a ride back to Calvin with someone else (not knowing the next ride wouldn't be until 1 AM. This was slightly later than we had intended to stay, because Brett wanted to depart from Calvin at 5 AM the next morning for our Spring Break trip).

While at the party, we played a variation of scrabble in which Prodigy and I assisted Mr. Adema. Mr. Schultz and Mr. Adema acted as the party's DJs at various points. Mr. Schultz was also very generous with his food. Free steaks were being handed out to everyone. He also made little drawings for everyone.

This was a different group than I usually hung out with (lots of people from my sister's class in high school--two years behind) so there were lots of people I didn't know at the party. I did however recognize a few people, (like Ms. Braez).

Finally, Prodigy and I got were able to get a ride back to Calvin from Klaus H. (accompanied by his girlfriend Ms. Boerman).

Link of the Day
Via This Modern World: Oy
And 40 Years Later, (The Late) Martin Luther King Still Silenced

No comments: