Saturday, March 24, 2007

Free Writing 10/26/93

(Retrospection)
This was one of those infamous free writing assignments high school English teachers love to give out. The idea is you write whatever pops into your head. The only rule is you never stop writing.
As such, it does not represent my most polished piece of writing, but I think it does reflect my priorities at 15.

I hope I don't have much homework this weekend. I should read those books I bought. I hope my mom remembered to buy that compass I need for science class. I would like to buy more comic books soon, but I'm short on money. I am planning on getting more mail subscription as soon as the titles I have now run out. I think next I'll subscribe to "The Flash" and "Wonder Woman" because I don't have many of those comics yet. I would like to watch Star Trek this Sunday as well.

Tonight is the city meet for Cross Country. After that the season is over. Next is swim season. But until swim season starts, we have to work on lifting weights. I hope to improve my swimming this year, and help other people swim better. I really hope to slim down my lap time this year. I also hope I have enough time for homework once swim season starts. Last year it was sometimes a struggle to get everything done.

Useless Wikipedia Fact
The B.C. strip on December 7, 2006, attracted criticism for defining "infamy" as "a word seldom used after Toyota sales topped 2 million." The day was the 65th anniversary of the Japanese military's attack on Pearl Harbor, and the punchline of the strip references Franklin D. Roosevelt's "Infamy Speech" which requested from Congress a declaration of war against Japan. Toyota is a Japanese company, and apparently became the target of Hart's criticism solely on the basis of nationality. The day's strip was pulled from at least one newspaper, the San Antonio Express-News. The paper's managing editor, Brett Thacker, said the comic was "more than just a feeble attempt at being topical, it's a regressive and insensitive statement about one of the worst days in American history.... [Hart's comic represented] an old way of thinking. The preceding generations lived through that horrible era -- I can certainly appreciate their sacrifice. The world has changed, and much to our benefit. Unfortunately, some people haven't."[6]

Link of the Day
Antiwar March Confronts Congressman Ehlers at his Home
and
Local News Coverage of Antiwar March Sensationalized and Biased

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel, I just wanted to say hi. I hope you are doing well. Hopefully we'll get a chance to talk soon. Say hi to Shoko for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel, I just wanted to say hi. I hope you are doing well. Hopefully we'll get a chance to talk soon. Say hi to Shoko for me.