Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Farewell Speeches
As mentioned a couple post ago, things are indeed continuing to wind up here. I've still got a couple weeks of school left, but because I'm on a bi-weekly schedule, I'm starting to make my last visits to some of the elementary schools.

I'm not a fan of big good-byes. In fact I think ideally I'd like to just slip away in the middle of the night and leave a note for people to find in the morning. But that is not how it is done in Japan.

Yesterday at Ajimu Elementary school, and today at Sada Elementary school, good-bye ceremonies were held for me. The principle gave a short speech, representatives from each class gave a short speech to me, and then I had to say a few words. It was all in Japanese, but after 3 years here I've got a bit of a footing in the language. If I had left after the first year, I don't know what I would have done. I suppose I just wouldn't have understood all those speeches given to me.

For some reason there seems to be some confusion about how long I've been here. Many of the teachers have been saying, "Wow, you've been in Japan for two years now, huh?" Actually it's 3, but I suppose this is a good sign that my time here has gone quickly for them. (Or more likely, this is a result of the fact that the teachers get transferred to different schools every year, so very few of them have been teaching with me all 3 years).

I've also been getting lots of gifts. I mentioned before this is a bit frustrating. Just when I'm trying to sort out what I'll have room to take home and what I'll have to get rid of, all sorts of gifts are pouring in. That said, I do have to admit some of it is pretty cool. The teachers at Ajimu Elementary School have taken note of my interest in Japanese oldies, and given me a collection of CD's of old Japanese pop groups. This should provide me with many hours of listening pleasure.

Anyway, it is looking like this is going to be just the tip of the ice-berg. My schedule is beginning to fill up fast with a lot of Sayonara parties for the next few weeks. A Sayonara party with the Board of Education, with my Adult class, with the students I took to America, with the other JETs, etc. I'll do my best to keep this weblog updated.

No comments: