Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Using AI to create a model text for vocabulary

(TESOL Ideas--Any Vocabulary Set)

Obviously I can't take credit for thinking of this myself.  Using AI to create model texts has become very popular with a lot of TESOL teachers recently.  But I've used it a couple times lately, and I want to add my voice to the chorus.
Recently I was asked at short notice to cover a vocabulary lesson in which I had to teach: balanced diet, caffeine, diabetes, diet, grain, mineral, processed food, protein, red meat, reduce, vitamin, wheat and whole grain
There was no context or model text.  So, I went to https://gemini.google.com/ (The couple times I've tried it, I've found gemini is better for this than ChatGPT, but admittedly I've not experimented a lot.)
I typed in:
Make a short paragraph using the words: balanced diet, caffeine, diabetes, diet, grain, mineral, processed food, protein, red meat, reduce, vitamin, wheat, whole grain
And gemini produced:
For people with diabetes, managing their diet is key. A balanced diet rich in whole grains, vegetables, and lean protein can help regulate blood sugar. This means reducing processed foods, red meat, and sugary drinks. Opting for whole wheat over refined grains ensures you get more vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Even small changes, like limiting caffeine and sugary snacks, can make a big difference.
....which is not bad.  It went through it and checked, and it did manage to include every single word I had inputted.  All in a short paragraph that actually creates a coherent meaningful context.  It's a bit high level for a TESOL class, but then this was higher level vocabulary, and the class was upper-intermediate, so they got through the text with some assistance. 

The next day, I was teaching a lesson on reporting verbs, and the textbook I was using, (Reflect Listening & Speaking 5, page 98) presented the words: explain, mention, observe, point out, report, agree, believe, claim, estimate, advise, argue, propose, recommend, suggest, call for, demand and encourage. But no context was provided for these words.
So, again I went to gemini;
write a text with the words: explain, mention, observe, point out, report, agree, believe, claim, estimate, advise, argue, propose, recommend, suggest, call for, demand, encourage
and I got:
A recent study on sleep patterns in teenagers has sparked a lively debate. The researchers reported a significant decrease in the average amount of sleep teenagers get compared to previous generations. They point out the potential link between this lack of sleep and decreased academic performance, as well as increased mental health issues. While some agree with these findings, others argue that the study doesn't account for external factors like increased screen time or societal pressures.
One doctor believes the solution lies in education. She recommends schools implement later start times to allow teenagers more sleep.  Another expert proposes a multi-pronged approach, calling for both parental support and a shift in societal expectations. They suggest encouraging teenagers to establish healthy sleep routines and limiting late-night activities.
However, not everyone agrees on such a gentle approach. Some argue for stricter regulations, demanding limitations on social media access during certain hours.  They claim this would force teenagers to prioritize sleep.
The debate continues, with many experts offering their explanations and observations. While there's no easy answer, most can agree that ensuring teenagers get enough sleep is a vital issue. Further research is needed, but in the meantime, encouraging healthy sleep habits is a good first step.
....which again, is not bad.  It makes sense.  It's a coherent topic.  The words are used correctly.  It's an advanced text, but then this was for a pre-advanced class, so in this case the level is almost appropriate.
The only complaint is that gemini didn't actually use all the words I gave it.  So, for example, mention and estimate don't appear in the model text.  (I've noticed this sometimes with gemini--sometimes it doesn't use all the words you give it.  Presumably because it can't find a way to naturally do so.)
But at the very least it gives me a context for most of the words.  Which is more than I had before.

I'm as worried about AI stealing our jobs as the next person, but I have to admit that this application is a time saver for me.
In the past, I used to try to create my own model texts just using my own creativity.  I used to spend a long time racking my brains trying to think of a story that connected all the words, and when I finally got something, it was usually disjointed and incoherent.  (e.g. this model text that I made for this vocabulary set).  So it's really convenient to just have the computer spit out a coherent model text in seconds.

No comments: