Sunday, December 30, 2012

A friend of mine (he knows who he is) introduced me to David Mitchell's Soapbox the other night.

I particularly like Sustainability and Burden of Proof.

I also liked What the Hell is Going On? , David Mitchell's rant about religion.  In fact I agree with it so much so that I'm going to take the trouble to quote from a small bit of it:

These days we're expected to work it [the true religion] out for ourselves.  Well, how?  Millions of very intelligent people have spent their entire lives trying to work out what the Hell is going on, and whilst a few have resolved it more or less to their own satisfaction, not one has come up with a theory so compelling that everyone else has had to drop their rosary beads, prayer shawls or, I don't know, fossils, and agree that, yeah, good work Steve, that seems like it's basically it.  In fact, whatever the hell you may think is going on and whatever the hell actually is going on, surely we all have to admit that the lack of a majority consensus means that most people in history who think or thought they knew what the hell was going on were, by definition, wrong.  So what chance have I got?

My view entirely.

No comments: