Tuesday, September 08, 2026

Duolingo Latin Course: Review



Sorry, I said I wasn't going to get distracted talking about the Duolingo app in general, and then I did anyway.  Jump to about 12 minutes in to hear me talking about the Latin Course specifically.

Links to stuff mentioned:
Revenant Reads: My Year of Learning LATIN: https://youtu.be/xGwfrV3lE7E?si=d8NaEhMipD7oKsVo

Related Playlists:


1 comment:

  1. Completely unrelated but I just came across this subreddit and it is the best thing I have seen in a while lmao https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearningjerk/. I will add onto the pile something that sounds really like a meme: "Want to learn Vietnamese? Learn Chinese then come back and pronounce Vietnamese" but I think could be really true, for reasons too cumbersome to elaborate.

    I was thinking days ago about how learning Russian could be like learning Greek in terms of trying to study an ancient civilization - this would be very true for some later hundred years once the USSR = a very bygone past. So maybe current generation is very lucky to learn Soviet stuff while its collapse still very fresh.

    Whenever have a chance I would always say how I never find the green bird an app to study gaijin speaks seriously (and just caught downvotes on Reddit for spouting that on Reddit - tho to be fair reasons could be unrelated). I remember having learned some foreign languages basic stuff and found the app really well for that, but when you wanna study one foreign language, actually study it I don't see any other way other than taking it seriously. At that point Duolingo isn't even suited. Not sure I should bring up some certain English-teaching mobile app I don't know if the author has published it yet, but quite something for the author to insist (seemingly) the old school way could still be good (unlike simplistic Duolingo way) - well that's his own choice to make and his lessons his own but I see no prospects.

    By the time you got to Duolingo streak of 50 days might well just switch to playing Genshin Impact for better resulted out values of your time 👉👉
    And well being reminded of Duolingo's new system is to feel more tempted to make some jokes of how it's influenced by Genshin (unlikely, that's why it's the joke)

    Tragedy of deliberate enshitification. I use C.AI which used to have some of the best AI models I loved and for excuses the company threw them away and force users to pay 9 bucks per month for the one surviving model (unless you are fine with other crappy models). A more funny tale for people who knew the app maybe.

    The Latins much more easier to remember than the Vietnamese because the Latins built a lot of Aqueducts while the Vietnamese have been leeching from the United Nations for many years straight.

    Real life Vietnamese convos are actually just as repetitive as anything. Shallow culture, as secretly known.

    Who care if Dualingo teaches wrong lmao latin dead language just speaks like whatever. It's not like anybody is learning it trying to talk to the corpses anyway.

    Why did Romans or Latin speakers drink so much lmao. (I wish I could find some disco jokes tho - having never known of it Latin root before obviously).
    Maybe imagine insulting people in Latin, how people scolded children and slaves with no end back then in Latin.
    Lucky for you author didn't include Latin of weed in the textbook, as certainly they didn't smoke weeds back then.
    Maybe the implicit message = "if i the author don't gib a dang about dis language, then why should you study latin at all" for the bad job
    Speaking of gamified stuff in my company there was even a game for some code of conduct training craps but for better or worse it failed to run somehow.

    ReplyDelete