Sunday, February 26, 2017

Time out for some Geek links:

Off The Wagon: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
And the Podcast HERE.

I have a similar history with Star Trek V as the podcasters--I loved it when I was 11, but I've grown to see how incredibly flawed it is as I've gotten older.

It's a truly ridiculous premise.

But then, sometimes a science fiction franchise needs the freedom to explore a truly ridiculous premise every now and then.  The alternative is when quality is so tightly controlled by the studio that they're afraid of taking any risks, and then every film has to be exactly the same--which is more or less the last 3 - Star Trek - Films.

2 comments:

dpreimer said...

I've never been able to sit through it a second time since I saw it in the theatres back in the day. Not sure I can even muster up the wherewithal to listen to a 2+ hour podcast eviscerating it. When VI showed up I dutifully attended, but had trouble warming up to it, in no small part because I still had the taste of V in my mouth. Shatner's own account of the movie in "Movie Memories" is brief and about as close to a mea culpa as we're likely to get. He blames a low budget and tight shooting schedule, basically.

Joel Swagman said...

I'd certainly never recommend you take time out of your life to listen to this podcast, but I had it on in the background while I was doing other things, and I found the commentary pretty intelligent.
The Podcasters mention "Movie Memories", but also make the case that the script would have been flawed no matter how much money they had.