Friday, March 05, 2010

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

(Movie Reviews)

I'll be honest, I was a little reluctant to see this movie. In the end, I saw it mostly because my youngest sister insisted.

But it turned out to be pretty good actually.

Because I've been out in Japan the past few years, this was yet another movie that had been flying under my radar screen. Until I arrived back in the US last month, I never even knew I hadn't heard of it.

I do remember the book (W), of course, from my childhood. As we probably all do.

Although advertised as a children's movie, the humor in this often reminded me more of "Family Guy" or "The Simpsons". It wasn't quite as raunchy, sure, but the usual saccharine sweetness that used to pervade children's films has been replaced by a much more sarcastic type humor. Also it's mixed in with a sheer random absurdness, which is also a trademark of shows like "The Simpsons".

Now granted, this movie couldn't compete with "The Simpsons" or "Family Guy" at their best. But I think it is about par for the course for an average episode. (And, although it pains me to say this, it is immeasurably better than "The Simpsons Movie" that came out a few years ago.)

If it weren't for the animation, it might not even be considered a children's movie at all.
...Well, that and the formulaic plot structure. The fact that everyone had to learn a life lesson and grow a bit before the film ended. And the few mandatory sappy moments also mark this as a film market towards children (or a least their concerned parents). But other than those few moments, I'd say it's safe to consider this as an adult film disguised as a children's film. I certainly laughed a lot watching it, and do not feel ashamed to admit it.

Link of the Day
Chomsky on Leninism

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: Movie Review (Scripted)

No comments: