Monday, November 20, 2006

Crazy Toys

It's definately Christmas time already. At least if you work in retail. We've had Christmas decorations up since before Halloween.

During the past couple weeks, occassionally I've been pulled out of "Health and Beauty Care" to help stock toys. There's still enough of a kid in me that I really enjoy seeing all the new toys. In a way in doesn't even seem like work. At least for the first hour. Those next 7 hours of putting toys on shelves...Oh boy do they ever seem like work.

Not being a kid, and not having kids, and not really having any reason to go into a toystore recently, I've lost touch with what the hot new toys are. But the interesting thing is how little has changed. I know every Christmas season there are newspaper articles about what this year's hot new toy is, but looking over the shelves one can't help but feel that the more things change the more things stay the same. It's all the same stuff we grew up with. Transformers, Star Wars characters, Batman, Superman, and other comicbook related stuff, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Legos, hotwheels, Barbie, strawberry shortcake, sesame street themed toys etc.

But I thought I'd make a note of what seemed to me to be some of the more bizarre toys this years.

Star Wars Transformers
I guess this was an idea just waiting to happen. It combines the two most popular toys from my childhood. Only it doesn't make any sense. Darth Vador transforms into a space ship? Obi Wan Kenobi transforms into a jedi starship? I'm guessing these adventures must take place in some sort of alternative reality.










Puffy Ami Yumi Doll

I knew Puffy (Japanese girl band Duo) had a cult following in the US, but I didn't know they were popular enough to have their own doll. And at a major retailer no less. Guess I'm a bit out of it. These dolls talk both in English and Japanese if you press the button on their hand, which is pretty cool. The next generation of Assistant English Teachers will have a big head start on their Japanese study.

If you're not familiar with Puffy Ami Yumi yet, there's no lack of their music videos on Youtube. I'm not a huge fan myself. A friend in Japan gave me a CD of theirs, and I think a few of their songs are pretty catchy, and I have it on rotation in my music collection (in fact I'm listening to it now), but I find them pretty touch and go. Half of their songs are okay, half are tiresome. Personally I'm a bit mystified as to why this duo became so popular in the US, when there are so many other Japanese bands that never make it across the pacific. But then, I'm famous for having bizarre musical tastes, so don't go by what I say.

Others
Disney's Tinkerbell apparently has her own series of toys now complete with a bunch of fairy friends. Given how popular fairy stories are with young girls, I guess this is one of those ideas you wonder in retrospect why someone didn't think of it sooner.
My sister has asked me to stop stocking "Little Bratz" dolls because they send a bad message to the next generation of girls. I think the objection is because they are too skinny and overly made up. At 3 in the morning though, I have yet to find the energy to take a moral stand on this.

That's all I've got for now. I'll update if something else catches my eye.

Useless Wikipedia Fact
Some concerns are given whether or not the famous solo in "Gently Weeps" is actually Clapton, as rumors report that the solo was re-cut and that Clapton's solo was not the one that was pressed. Contrary to this is a quote by Harrison, which offers:
"So Eric played that, and I thought it was really good. Then we listened to it back, and he said, 'Ah, there's a problem though; it's not Beatley enough.' So we put it through the ADT [automatic double-track] to wobble it up a bit."


Link of the Day
Communist Manifesto illustrated by Disney Actually if you watch this video, I think most of this animation is from sources other than Disney. But still a fun idea to use Golden Age Hollywood animation to bring this classic to life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister has asked me to stop stocking ...

This is your conservative sister, right?

Just tell her that you are only doing what the market wants ;-)

Anonymous said...

Re: Puffy Ami Yumi ... I think they became big-ish in the US because of Cartoon Network marketing them like mad well before the debut of their cartoon, which actually is fairly cute. But I don't there's a relationship between Puffy and CN anymore.

Re: Bratz ... I don't consider myself conservative, and I have an objection to those dolls as well; I always thought the whole line was rather freakish-looking and the concept behind them worshipful of all things Paris Hilton, but when the Bratz Babyz cartoon that recently came out suggested small girls flirt with adults to get what they want ... brrr.

Anonymous said...

We've banned Bratz from our household, too. Actually, we don't object to others giving the girls these heinous dolls, but we've made it clear we will not be buying them and we discourage the girls from using their own money to buy them. swc hit it on the head. Why didn't the marketeers just opt for the more direct name: Tartz? The minions who cook up these toys either don't have daughters of their own, or they honestly think Old Man Hilton has done a grand job of fathering his twinkie progeny.