Sunday, August 23, 2026

This Week in Booktube: August 23, 2026
(These are the Booktube videos I watched this week. As always, I encourage you also to check out each of the videos I've linked to down below.  Support Booktube.  And let me know what you've watched this past week.)

Google document: docs, pub

Working Man Reads A Nazi, a Lifetime, and One of the Saddest Books I’ve Read

Reading is a Skill You're probably wrong about AI book destruction

Abby Reads "The Horse Whisperer" by Nicholas Evans | A 5P Review

Bookish Is There an AI Witch Hunt?

Steve Donoghue Response Video: PROBLEMS with Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings!

Twelve Months of Christmas If You're A Fan of the Hallmark Channel, SKIP This VIDEO! Journey Back to Christmas

Marian H What If You Read It Again? - Why Rereading Books Matters

Bucky749 official 11th YouTube anniversary video

Abby Reads The Solar System Book Tag | Let's recommend some books!

Marian H Overexplaining My Summer Book Haul

Bucky749 Channel trailer: 2026

Twelve Months of Christmas You'll Rethink SKIPPING Christmas AFTER Reading THIS John Grisham Book!

Abby Reads "The God Stealer" by F Sionil Jose | A 5P Review

Revenant Reads My Year of Learning LATIN

Reading IDEAS. Foundation by Isaac Asimov. Book review. Booktube

5 comments:

  1. The news about AI companies destroying books after training on them sounds like a vnExpress tier of clickbait on multiple levels that I refuse to ever read it in details at all. 🐴

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sensationalist news is always best treated with skepticism. That said, I wouldn't put this past the AI companies--but maybe that's just my anti-AI bias coming through. But I did think that Reading as a Skill made a well-reasoned argument as to why it was probably overblown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I just don't know. I had thought it's not like they would benefit much from training models on dragon smuts and manuals nobody reads (even so that doesn't rule out bad deeds). I just remembered again there's also the use of storywriting and perhaps countless future stuff - but still, I doubt niche books would cover any note worthy gaps of already existing AI's output data. I watched through the video more thorough now but still don't retain much points (mostly seem to be speculative) - though I find his position seems to be more like "it's not bad, but it sure is quite negative".

    Disposing records as seemingly they serve no value isn't something unique nor most notable to AI companies, needless to say. What I find people don't talk as much while lamenting the disposal of such things is how do they suppose to deal with space being occupied, be it physical or mental bandwitdh. Realized hidden values will always be unexpected, but I have decided to sacrifice some of that on my own blogs, and I'm sure if I had any reader at all they would even like it further if I weed out the posts I had kept for the sake of historical values. I once sent some similar sort of information to my British client in case he may have questions and can dig them out from whatever metadata could help him - but I suspect he would love nothing more than them being gone, in the same way he 'ah, you sent that requested file on the last reply? Oops I must have deleted it with your mail thread as it was a mess'. Perhaps there will always be trade offs like it or not, might well strive for maximal return values.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...point of last lines = nobody has all the time to read through some huge archive of records that may or may not provide values.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, good point. I guess the video is just mostly speculative. I enjoyed it, but you're right, he doesn't give out a lot of hard information about what is happening, or how many books we might be losing.

    ReplyDelete